dnata exceeds one million tonnes of cargo handled at Dubai World Central
Leading air services provider celebrates key milestone
Thursday, April 21, 2016
dnata, one of the world’s largest air services providers, has reached a key milestone in its operation at Dubai World Central (DWC), handling over one million tonnes of air freight since its first full year of operation in 2011. In just five years dnata has seen a staggering 90% increase in freight volume, recording 170,260 tonnes in 2015, up from 89,729 tonnes in 2011. The performance has far exceeded the original growth forecast of 20%.
- dnata tops 1,000,000 tonnes of air freight handled since 2011
- 90% increase in volume recorded in five years; exceeds original growth forecast of 20%
- Over 20,000 flights managed since first full year of operation
- Shipments include world’s largest piece of cargo, original Batmobile and W.H.O. relief packages
While expected to be the largest airport in the world once completed, dnata has already had the privilege of handling a range of unique and unusual cargo at Dubai World Central. This includes the world’s largest ever piece of cargo, a 95 tonne gas turbine bound for a government project in Northern Nigeria; a variety of prototype, racing, classic and luxury cars, an original Batmobile brought in for an auto show; as well as relief shipments from the regional World Health Organisation destined for Pakistan, Yemen and Iraq. The airport has also accommodated the largest aircraft in the world, the Antonov AN225, with ground support from the dnata team.
Bernd Struck, dnata’s Senior Vice President, UAE Cargo, said: “This is a hugely significant milestone for all of us at Dubai World Central. The growth we have experienced over the last five years is thanks to not only dnata, but the combined hard work and commitment of Dubai Airports and all of the stakeholders involved in creating a world-class logistics platform with unparalleled connectivity, speed and efficiency.
Dubai World Central features industry leading facilities and offers a host of attractive benefits to its customers, which includes many of the world’s largest airfreight operators.
Key growth factors include:
- Strategic location: as well it’s central global position, DWC sits within a close proximity to Dubai International, Jebel Ali Sea Port, Dubai Free Zones , Abu Dhabi and its new industrial zones, as well as a growing number of regional distribution centres, all within easy reach via the extensive UAE road network.
- Slot free: DWC is not limited by slot restrictions for flight movements, which means customers are instantly granted approval for scheduled, unscheduled and delayed flights.
- Growth capacity: DWC is able to offer unparalleled space and availability to match the growth requirements of its customers.
- Cost efficient: DWC and dnata are able to offer tailor made cargo solutions for freight forwarders and airlines at the most competitive pricing.
- Infrastructure: as the ground handling agent, dnata provides DWC customers with a wealth of innovative services and products to provide a tailor made one-stop cargo offering. This includes cranes, trailers, multi-axle weighs, drive-off from aircrafts, MOD certified storage and work areas. In addition, dnata recently introduced an ETV (Elevating Transfer Vehicles) system with 302 built up pallet storage capacity.
- 24/7 operations: DWC is not subject to an evening curfew, meaning that cargo can land at any time of day. As such DWC is equipped to operate all day, every day.
Struck continued: “DWC is the perfect gateway, offering competitive pricing, as well as flexibility and the necessary infrastructure to accommodate all of our customers’ requirements. Ever since we accepted our first flight, dnata has continued to enhance its structure, equipment and services to provide a one-stop cargo offering. This is supported by a dedicated and highly motivated team, all of which are committed to helping our customers grow their business.”
“Since first opening for cargo operations in June 2010 DWC has rapidly ascended airport rankings for international freight volumes and now sits in the top 20 worldwide,” said Majed Al Joker, Dubai Airports’ Senior Vice President of Operations – DWC. “Throughout it all dnata has played a vital role in ensuring our mutual airline customers receive great service. Dubai Airports remains committed to investing in the provision of top notch infrastructure that facilitates traffic growth.”
Dubai World Central is situated in the heart of Dubai South, a planned residential commercial and logistics complex, which includes the Dubai Logistics City (DLC), Commercial City, Residential City, Aviation City and Golf City. Dubai Airports launched cargo operations at DWC on 27th June 2010, and by the time the full 140 sq. kilometre development is complete - estimated to be in the mid-2020s - it will be able accommodate up to 16 million tonnes of freight and up to 240 million passengers per year.